While thinking of a possible conversation with a Protestant who is interested in Catholicism but unwilling to take on customs and traditions which are not part of the family of origin, it occurred to me to say the following when asking if the Eucharist is truly the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Our Lord.
RFC (reluctant future convert): Well, it is only symbolic.
COM (Catholic on a mission): Does the manna in Exodus show that God will provide food for us? Does it symbolize the food He will send by sending His son as the Messiah? Is the manna symbolic food? The Israelites collected it but didn't receive nourishment from it because it was only symbolic?
RFC: Well...
COM: Well. God sent REAL food to the Israelites to save them in the desert. He sends us REAL Jesus at the sacrifice of the Mass to save us from sin and eternal death.
Of course, not being the RFC it is difficult for me to get much further. Mostly because I have never had a conversation like this before. Sad, but true. I always thought I would be able to hold my ground on issues like breastfeeding and natural birth but it seems that chapter isn't relevant right now.
So I am forced to contemplate new topics on which I am not fully educated. Gee, think God knew I needed some further study on a few things more important than how to birth and feed a baby?
Very good point! I was thinking the other day that it wasn't until I was an adult that I made the connection between manna and the Eucharist.
ReplyDeleteThe other day the boys and I were discussing what was in the Ark of the Covenant which was placed in the Tabernacle--staff of Aaron (symbol of authority/prefigure of the authority of the Church?), the 10 Commandments (God's written law/prefigure of the Bible?), and manna. What's in the tabernacle at church? Manna. We all thought it was very cool.