Saturday, January 29, 2011

Baby, birth and politics

So, once again, I find myself wandering down the road of continual questions about where to give birth to a baby.  This time I have a few more things on my side.

Successful VBAC? check.

Aware of pregnancy prior to the start of second trimester? Check.

Great doc for back up in case homebirth midwife plan falls through?  Check.

Husband on board with homebirth? Check.

What is so difficult about finding a midwife who will agree to a homebirth for the SIXTH baby??  Well, let me tell you, if you EVER have a C-section the politics that go into such a search / decision are never ending.  This is why no one should EVER have a C-section with their first baby.  Or any other child really.  Okay, I overstate the point.  C-sections have their place.  I chose mine albeit in the midst of HARD, FAST labor pains that were not productive with a breech baby...but chose it nonetheless.

So.  In VA CNMs will not attend VBAC births at home.  Okay.  Baby #4 C-section.  Baby #5 VBAC in hospital.  Need I mention baby was 9.14??  So one would think that anyone would say that I qualify for safe VBAC status at this point.

HOWEVER, since the midwifes I spoke to don't have a working relationship with the hospital closest to my house they won't attend the birth.  Not because they think I won't have a successful homebirth.  Not because there is anything risky about my birth.  Because IF something were to happen and IF I had to be transported and IF I wound up with another C-section THEN they might get static from the birthing powers that be.  (Notice the number of IFs.)

Don't misread this.

I am NOT criticizing the midwives decision at all.  I get it.  They have to pick and choose their battles and I am not a good battle to pick.  I AM irritated that the atmosphere is so negative toward homebirth and VBACs that even a low risk mom like me has trouble getting support because of politics NOT because of medical issues.

Irritating.

I am still looking.  I am still praying that this all turns out well, as I am sure it will.  It is in God's hands and He has been so good to me and our babies thus far!

No comments:

Post a Comment