Tuesday, March 23, 2010

traveling with relatives

I needed a break.  My child just doesn't sleep at night.  Or during the day.  At least not consistently and not for any length of time.
I got a PeaPod from KidCo and it has been amazing.  The child now sleeps from 9 or 10pm until 5am, gets into my bed and goes back to sleep for another two hours.  Mind blowing really.  http://www.kidco.com
I needed a break.  Life is not easy with young children. I am so fortunate to have family that understands this and doesn't say things like,"Well you chose this so now you deal with it." or "Put the kids in school and take a break."  They say things like, "Come here and let us take care of you." or "What can I do to help?"
My brother got on a plane with about three days notice and came to our house, helped move a dining room set the next day to include renting and loading a U-Haul trailer, the day after THAT he got into a mini van with five kids under 10 years of age (with said U-Haul attached) and started on a LONG drive.  Mind you he was not drugged, coerced or bribed in any way.
We are now on our second night in a hotel.  He has taken my pre-schooler to the bathroom at every rest stop, fed small children, put them to bed, told them to stop screaming in the car when I just can't do it one more time and all this without me asking.
My parents are preparing for our arrival with food and sleeping arrangements.  They are, of course, glad to see grandchildren whenever they get the chance!  I am looking forward to their assistance. I am looking forward to sleeping.
For everyone that has young children, I wish for you to have a shelter to which to retreat.  A safe harbor from the storm.  A place to go when you just have to "get out of town".
Thank you thank you to my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment