Friday, October 22, 2010

Letter to my Children

DISCLAIMER: My kids do not read this blog.  This is here for a limited time so that it doesn't get lost.


To my dear children,

I am going with my friends to run the Army Ten-Miler.  I signed up for this run because I needed a goal for getting back into running and getting fit so that I have more patience and endurance for my children.  It has occurred to me that a gathering of 30,000 people all associated somehow with the Army in our nation’s capital is probably a great target for terrorists.  So I have written you this letter in case something does happen to me.
First, you are all my greatest joy.  I love my job as a mother more than any other job I have ever had.  It is definitely the most difficult.  It has the longest hours and requires me to think all the time.  But I would not trade it for anything.  I take very seriously your moral formation as Catholics.  You are well on your way to being saints.  This is the goal for every person and the requirement of every parent is to prepare their children to defend the faith.
Soldiers who are killed in combat are returned home and their caskets are draped with the Stars and Stripes.  They are a citizen of the greatest country ever in the history of the world.  Catholic soldiers have the flag removed and their casket is draped with a white cloth before they enter the church for the funeral Mass.  They are a member of God’s family and this is more important than which country it is from which they come.
There is a story in the book of Maccabees. 2 Maccabees 1. A woman has seven sons.  They are all tortured and killed from oldest to youngest.  When the youngest son is going to be killed the soldiers tell her that if he renounces his faith in God they will spare his life.  They encourage his mother to tell him to deny God and live.  She, instead, tells him to remember his faith and that he will see his brothers in eternal life.  It is my wish for you that you not deny your faith, even to the point of death.  Eternal life is so much more than we can ever understand here on Earth.  Being able to see God face to face is the only thing our souls really long for.  We are incomplete without God.  We search for something in this life to complete us.  Some people search for it by using drugs.  Some people search for it in the “perfect” spouse.  The search takes many forms.  But the end result is always the same; disappointment. 
The search must lead you to God.  He must be your focus.

If you can discern what the purpose of your life is according to God you will not wander through life.  It will be easy to see the things you must do.  It will be easy to see the things you would like to do but cannot because they are not in harmony with God’s will for you.

You are all very intelligent, charming, witty and caring people.  I hope that your lives are full of exciting adventures together.  Keep watching out for one another as you do now.  Remember that it is not important what other people do.  It is important that you do the right things.  Everyone else’s story is between them and God.

No matter how your lives change because I am gone remember the things we have learned together.

Be polite.

State the problem and what you need in order to solve the problem.

Don’t quit. Keep trying. Do your best.

Help other people.

Shield your eyes and your soul from things that are not pure.

Be careful when making friends; be sure your friends are pure and worthy of your friendship and trust.

Be even more careful when choosing your spouse.  You are choosing the person who will be responsible for your eternal salvation and the raising and training of your children.  Pray to St. Joseph for a good spouse and for him to help you with your marriage.

If you are called to consecrated life be thoughtful and prayerful in your choices. 
No matter which path you are called to follow keep Jesus and his Blessed Mother before you always.  

I love you.  I will be with each of you always watching over you.  Offer Masses and your rosary for me so that I may get to heaven and be a help to you while you are living in this life and so that we may spend eternal life together.

Your loving mother.


No comments:

Post a Comment